Thursday, April 26, 2012

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM!

On April 25th my mother would have celebrated her 77th birthday.  She died on Mother’s Day, May 14, 2006 at 11:30pm.

 I never realized how much my life mirrored my mother’s life until recently.  As teens and young adults we witness the weaknesses of our parents and vow never to make the same mistakes they made.  And many times without realizing it (perhaps because we judged without knowledge) we find ourselves walking in their shoes.

 I’ve also followed her in the good things she accomplished in life.  She was an avid learner and teacher of the Word of God.  I too share her passionate devotion to God and His Word.  We both served (and I continue to serve) as ministers in our local church, and we’ve written teaching materials and booklets to edify and encourage the Body of Christ.  In her mid-fifties, my mom wrote a religious column for a community newspaper (Bulletin-Chicago). Since July of last year I’ve been writing a Christian column for a south suburban community newspaper (The Shopper-South Holland); I’m in my late fifties.

 One form of writing my mother excelled in was poetry (a form I struggle with).  The following is one of her favorites.

“The Harmony of Life” by Cordelia Ann Miller

Life is full of harmony somewhat like a song
Full of the good that we have done
And also full of the wrong.

Smiles and laughter, sorrows and tears
Follow us all down through the years
The miracle of birth, a part of each day
And the mystery of death, quietly slipping loved ones away.

Yet, life is good I say
For we know that to live is to die
To laugh and be happy and then to cry

And as I grow on in years
I find life sweeter even with all of its sorrows and tears
For I’ve found the hope and joy of ages past
And it’s built on God and I know it will last.

 I’ve found the light of life at last,
A light that cannot be surpassed
By the sorrows and tears life before me besets

 Yes, life is like a song full of harmony
As long as my God walks along beside me.

No comments:

Post a Comment